50 Word Story – Denial

I’m writing with dialogue only today to see if it stands up on its own. The short form also necessitates the removal of dialogue tags. Did it work for you?

jonah,50 word story,writing,fiction,writing prompt,

“Antagonise him with care Jonah. He’s not a patient man.”
“Defiance is good for the soul Captain.”
“My sailors meet the birch for such insubordination.”
“I am not one of your crew. I am God’s messenger.”
“Be wary, God does not meet rebellion with words. The seas are angry tonight, they sense an offering.”

In response to The Daily Post’s prompt of Denial.

This entry was posted in flash fiction, Short Stories, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to 50 Word Story – Denial

1. ron877 says:

This was fun to present in my university class. In a country with five “official” religions, my classes always have a few who know the story. Once I detect that recognition, I am able to form discussion groups with knowledgeable student leaders using a mixture of languages to explain the reference. When the same event appears in different religions, student-led comparisons run my class for me.

• I am honoured that my story was able to provoke such a feverish debate! It must have been fascinating. I would love to know how this one wrapped up. Did similar events occur in all five of the represented religions in your class?

• ron877 says:

Because we are in the last four weeks of the semester, this activity has yet to finish. As far as the different religions, I am interested in discovering how the same story appears in different religions but wit that small twist that allows each group to claim the story as its own. The group that interests me the most (because of my lack of knowledge) is Hindi. For reasons unknown to me, they are also the most reluctant to engage.

2. Pingback: Writing Dialogue: A 50 Word Story | kirstwrites

3. Pingback: Flash 50: His Right – Stories and more

4. luckyjc007 says:

I think it’s great!

5. oneta hayes says:

Very well done, Nicola. Many short, short stories leave me unsatisfied. Nice finish on this.

6. Dahlia says:

Nicely done! I love dialogue only stories and I am inspired to try one too – thanks! πŸ™‚

7. Sangbad says:

Story waved through words…wonderful…

8. magarisa says:

Definitely works.

9. Ron. says:

Yep. Worked. That’s how it’s done, alright.