And the winner of this week’s PRIDE Six Word Story Challenge is…

Sometimes Stellar Storyteller Logo

It’s Friday people, and if you’re anything like me – you’re damn thankful for it!

This week I left you the prompt of pride to form your story around. When I pulled this one from my list I had just finished reading Pride & Prejudice, my favourite classic novel, which I read at least twice a year. My own six word story (He wasn’t superior, but didn’t realise), was based on my opinion of Mr Darcy and whilst he is clearly superior in terms of social status, he is sorely lacking in certain elements of his manners and character. A lesson that he learns from his beloved Elizabeth Bennett.

I wondered if you would write about dented pride, misplaced pride or that warm feeling you get when you do a good job of something. I wondered if you would write in first person or third, and if you were you giving me your opinions of some other person or of yourself?

Why don’t you judge for yourself and reread this week’s entries here.

This week, first place goes to:

Dermott Hayes with his story ‘Two, now five, we’re a pride.’

(Thank you for the beautiful picture of the Pride of Lions, I do love a good collective noun. A Loveliness of Ladybirds and a Murder of Crows are my favourites.)

Second place goes to:

The Poetry Channel with his story ‘He bore his shame with dignity.’

Third place goes to;

trE with her story ‘Try to break her, you’ll fail.’

Congratulations to all of this week’s winners. As usual, please feel free to download and use one of the below badges on you blog.

Over to you!

This week, the Six Word Story Challenge needs you. I want to know what you think of the weekly post:

• Do you like the concept?
  • Do you agree with the way the winner is chosen?
  • What do you think of the prompts?
  • Would you prefer to write a six word story with a picture prompt? Maybe you would prefer that I set you a more targeted prompt, i.e. ‘You’re at the train station, write a six word story about the journey one traveller is embarking on.’
  • Is six days a good length for the challenge?

I’d love to get some feedback, what would make the challenge better? Do you like it as it is?   Let me know, I’m feeling a bit stale and would love to mix it up if you’re all feeling the same about it.

This entry was posted in Six Word Story Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to And the winner of this week’s PRIDE Six Word Story Challenge is…

1. ron877 says:

I pretty much like the concept the way it is. As for the way winners are chosen, I have yet to see a “top three” that was not a winner. As a reader/consumer, I like the idea of pictures. As a contributor, I would have to look for cool sources. It’s one of those things on my to do list.
    This is a fun activity. I advertise it in my classroom. I would encourage you to not make this too much work for yourself; the fun would run away.

2. inkdropk says:

Loving the six word story format, Nicola….however if you want to prompt something a little more than six words …. Feel free to post it 😀 Great work

3. Hello Nicola,

I absolutely love the concept. Randomly generated prompts are just so-so, but human generated prompts are extremely effective for me. I always look forward to Fridays to see if I won (I haven’t yet haha). And I always look forward to Saturdays to give it another shot.

The prompts are great. I would prefer the one word prompts to the pictures. I like to interpret the prompt in an unconventional way, and I worry that the picture will be too constraining. There has to be a balance I suppose. I will participate either way 🙂

6 days is a good amount of time for everyone to contribute and upvote.

The way winners are chosen isn’t perfect (people who post first will get more upvotes than people who post on Thursday), but I can’t think of a better way. Frankly, I think it’s ok to be a little arbitrary. It makes it less competitive.

Thank you very much for running this contest. It’s unlike anything I have found on the internet and enjoy every week.

Best,
    David

4. oneta hayes says:

Nicola, I love this challenge just as you have it. But I am sure I would also love anything you send our way. I’ve been inconsistent a few weeks because of computer problems, but mostly I have been able to read your interesting post each week. Hopefully I can get back with some writing soon Thanks for hosting this adventure with words.

5. blissobirds says:

Nicola,
    To begin, thank you for hosting the 6 word story challenge. I am new to this weekly writing exercise, but I love the opportunity to see how other writers approach the prompt.

Next, I absolutely favor the idea of a longer prompt and the possibility of including an image. It was interesting to read the inspiration for the prompt. I realize you don’t want to influence how writers interpret the prompt, but you could share that kind of information when you post the prompt.

Perhaps you could also solicit some words from visitors to your blog and then you choose which ones to use? I do think the amount of time is fitting – 6 word story and you get roughly 6 days to compose it. 🙂

Finally, congratulations to the writers who won the challenge — well done!

Great entries again, congratulations to the winners.
    I love the challenge and am constantly amazed by the disparate entries.
    I have always suspected that getting a story in early gives a greater chance of winning. I have briefly analysed the winning entries from several weeks and it seems to be the case, although not always. Understandable, in that if participants do not come back later in the week to check other entries, then more people have a chance to vote on the earlier entries than on those later ones.
    You do not want to make it overcomplicated to try to alleviate this as simple is good. Perhaps a reminder to everyone to check towards the deadline so they can vote on all, not just a few.
    The prompts are fine by me. Again, you do not want to get overcomplicated, but you could drop in the occasional alternative prompt.
    One a week is good.

Hope this helps.

Peter

• Thanks for the feedback Peter, I too noticed the pattern of the winners constantly coming from the first three or four entries. Most of the traffic for the posts comes in the same period so it’s no surprise.

I will publish a reminder midweek and see if that evens the playing field a bit. I also considered opening voting on one day only to see if that helped, perhaps the final day of the challenge. That might be a stage two test, as you say, simple is good. I don’t want to pick the winner myself as it is so subjective.

7. Hélène says:

Congratulations to the three winners. Good work.

Congratulations, good people! Thank you, Nicola and everyone! “Pride” is such a good prompt! Totally appreciative of your mind! 🙂