The Itch

I’ve been very strict with myself over the past few weeks, ensuring I make at least one hour a day to write. I’ve engineered child-free hours (thank God for holiday clubs), I’ve learnt to work with the TV blaring so as not to completely abandon hubby and I have, of course, carried my trusty notebook around to work on writing prompts in my lunch hour.

This is all planned writing time, I look forward to it. I rush through my day craving those few precious hours – or sometimes minutes – when I can shut the day out and dive into my own head. It’s my wind down time, the only time that I am allowed to be me and do something for myself.

I knew I loved to write but I didn’t realise how cathartic it was until I’m prevented from carving time out for it. Some days, the schedule of chores and family time becomes all consuming. These days are bittersweet, having fun and creating memories with the family and friends whom I adore is what I live for, but the whispering ribbon of anxiety is ever present, weaving its way through these good times, hinting at the pages of unwritten words clamouring to leave my head. ย I know they’ll come out eventually but some days, given the choice I could quite easily morph intoย a selfish hermit with very little persuasion.

I will most probably be unable to work on my WIP today and I can already feel the itch developing that will remain unscratched, this blog post, this metaphorical backscratcher, will relieve the pressure just enough for me to concentrate on real conversations with real people. I will have a good day, I will laugh, I will enjoy people’s company and then, at the end of it, I will scoop up my tired children and come home. I will tuck them in bed, iron their clothes, make their packed lunches and then, if I’m very lucky, have enough time and energy to open my laptop and move my characters on a few thousand words.

If not, you should probably steer clear of this pressure cooker on Monday.

This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Itch

1. Rachel says:

Writing in 1 hour a day is a good goal. I should set it for myself. I can always go up from there.

2. Very nice post! Sounds like you are great at juggling all of the important things in your life! Amazing!

3. starmouse says:

You can work with the TV on!?! I’m definitely impressed. Any tips on how you acquired that skill? My husband loves watching TV or movies in the evening, too, and I feel like such a party-pooper when I can’t focus at all on my writing or whatnot.

• I learnt to work with my iPod on. It was really hard as I’ve always been that person who needs silence. I can only listen to music without words or songs that I’m really familiar with. My current favourites are Muse or classical piano music.

4. this was an awesome read! you literally transformed your words to actions, i had a wonderful read.

5. koolitzable says:

I even have sleepless nights because of blogging..hahaha..but I am enjoying the activity ๐Ÿ˜€

6. rani-amanda says:

I hear you dear. I’m not a mom, but a full time worker and student on the weekend. In between those two (and don’t forget family and friends), I try to steal time to write.

• I’ve found that if I don’t make time I never get the opportunity to write, I schedule time in every day no matter how guilty I feel about it. I’m learning to make time for myself which is difficult when you have mummy priorities.

7. Heather says:

I feel the exact same way. I’m not a mom, but I’m a full-time student. During the times with my Loverly and/or friends, I want to write, but I don’t have time for it.

8. Vibrant says:

Hi Nicola ๐Ÿ™‚
    You express it beautifully. Your love for writing is evident. I feel when we get enough time to write we feel more cheerful and vivacious. I understand your “hermit” time out too. I feel it’s better than behaving edgy ๐Ÿ™‚

I wish you a very good time ahead.

Anand ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Amidst the chaos that life can bring, it its important to carve out time for yourself. I too love to write and find it to be the creative outlet for my crazy so to speak. I can decompress, vent, theorize, and dream it out in words so as to re-energize and be better able to focus on everything else I have going on in my life. To not have or find this “down time” can in itself be frustrating because of the balance it adds to my life; but there is always tomorrow….

10. honestme363 says:

Wishing you luck! I still have my pom poms!

11. izabolinha says:

Your picture/drawing is so good!
    I read your post earlier today and I didn’t see it then (but maybe it’s because I read it in my tablet (who is ready to call it quits) ?!

12. Oza says:

Hey..
    It’s all right.. Sometimes things with family do get a little hectic I guess.. But I admire the efforts you make to chalk out some time for yourself.. Don’t give up.. Hold on.. ๐Ÿ™‚